A look at the headlines right now:
- More than 20,000 pages of secret data about Indian Navy’s French submarines leaked: The fleet manufacturer, DCNS, said the fault was not theirs, but added that their national security authorities will initiate an investigation into it.l
- One killed in renewed fighting in Kashmir’s Pulwama, hours after Rajnath Singh reaches Srinagar: Clashes erupted after security forces blocked a rally of protesters in Pinglena village, and the home minister is expected to hold talks with various parties.
- Not the sign of a healthy democracy, says Supreme Court on number of defamation cases filed by Jayalalithaa: A bench of the top court said that public figures needed to accept criticism ‘instead of using state machinery’ to curb it.
- At least 20 dead as quake measuring 6.2 on Richter scale hits Italy: A 5.5-magnitude aftershock shook the region of Umbria just an hour after the first quake.
- JNU appeals court upholds punishments for 21 students over ‘anti-national’ event: The punishments awarded to Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattacharya remain the same, even as the fines for some of the other students have been reduced.
- ED issues summons to Nalini Chidambaram over Saradha scam after accused Sudipta Sen names her: The former finance minister’s wife was summoned in connection with fees paid to her by Manoranjana Sinh, the estranged wife of scam-accused Matang Sinh.
- Government to set up 50 new airports in three years, says Civil Aviation Minister AG Raju: The projects are part of the Cetre’s plan to bolster regional connectivity through airways.
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes leave at least 17 injured: The police said violence erupted after supporters from a rally by Indigenous People’s Front of Tripura, demanding a separate state for tribals, attacked residents.
- China, Japan and South Korea criticise North Korea over missile test: The countries’ foreign ministers issued a statement against the Kim Jong-un government after a ballistic missile was fired into the Sea of Japan.
- Turkey launches joint operation to wipe out Islamic State group militants from Jarablus in Syria: The raid began with artillery firing that was later supported by warplanes. It comes a few days after a suspected IS attack on a wedding party in Gaziantep.
We welcome your comments at [email protected]