Qualifying residents age 60 and over in Lancaster County are encouraged to apply for coupons that can be exchanged for eligible foods at farmers markets, roadside stands and community-supported agriculture programs.
The coupons, available through the Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program, are good for fruits, vegetables, honey and fresh-cut herbs.
The coupons will be distributed through a random drawing based on the number of coupons available for Lancaster County.
Aging Partners has scheduled a series of application workshops for eligible seniors in May. All interested parties must apply at one of these workshops to be eligible for the random drawing (in Lincoln unless otherwise noted):
* May 4: 9 a.m. to noon at the Lake Street Senior Center, 2400 S. 11th St. (St. James United Methodist Church)
* May 15: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Downtown Senior Center, 1005 O St.
* May 18: 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Northeast Senior Center, 6310 Platte Ave.
* May 19: 10 a.m. to noon at the Waverly Senior Center, 14410 Folkestone St. (First United Methodist Church), Waverly
* May 23: 10 a.m. to noon at the Belmont Senior Center, 1234 Judson St.
* May 24: 10 a.m. to noon at the Hickman Senior Center, 300 E. Third St., Hickman
* May 26: 10 a.m. to noon at the JoAnn Maxey Senior Center, 2032 U St. (Malone Community Center)
Gross income cannot exceed $22,311 for a single-person household or $30,044 for a two-person household. The maximum benefit per household, per season is $48. Residents may send someone to register on their behalf, providing the proxy brings a statement of permission as well as income and age documentation for the participant.
Coupons will be distributed to the selected recipients in early June, and are valid through October.