Managed Systems Breaks the Cycle with Electronics Recycling Initiative


NEW YORK — (June 30, 2008) — According to the EPA, American consumers and businesses disposed of 2.63 million tons of electronic waste in 2005 and only 12.5 percent of that was recycled, leaving 87.5 percent to become landfill waste or incinerator ash.

With that disturbing statistic in mind, Managed Systems, delivering proven technology solutions to New York’s small and mid-sized businesses, has decided to address these serious environmental issues by partnering with CloudBlue, a leading electronics recycling company, to recycle and reuse equipment. With this partnership, Managed Systems is an early adopter adhering to the pending New York Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act, which will mandate recycling of electronic equipment if passed this summer.

As Managed Systems works as a partner to small-to-mid size businesses helping owners get control of their technology and related infrastructure costs, the company also acts as the main provider of hardware and software products for its customers based in and around the New York area. This means that when a system needs upgraded hardware, Managed Systems is left with electronics with a wide range of age and condition. Some equipment has been lightly used and often in near-perfect condition while other devices are years old, already dead and obsolete.

To date, the company has stockpiled over 1,000 devices for e-cycling and projects another 1,500-2,000 for the remainder of 2008, with that number doubling year over year as the hardware matures and is upgraded. By partnering with CloudBlue, the company is maximizing the value of these electronic goods by having products wiped clean of any data to DoD (Dept of Defense) 5220.22m standards for protection, repurposed, or separated into raw materials that will go back into the manufacturing process.

“This partnership brings full circle the electronic assets Managed Systems provides and, at the same time, enables them to provide a key service to their growing list of customers. This is a tribute to the Managed Systems team for not only being socially responsible but also educating their customers about green solutions and best practices,” said Mark Vander Kooy, executive vice president for CloudBlue.

New York’s Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act will require any electronics manufacturer to accept their products for recycling at no cost to the consumer. This includes computers, monitors, televisions, digital music players, cell phones and PDAs and computer peripherals.

“Providing world-class technology solutions to our clients unfortunately comes with a downside as hardware is constantly updated,” said Kevin Hart, CEO of Managed Systems. “We felt a sense of responsibility and could not simply put these items in the trash when we knew there were alternatives. By partnering with CloudBlue, we can now reuse and recycle these outdated machines to the highest environmental standards while having maximum data security for our clients.”

About CloudBlue

CloudBlue offers a suite of services that enable our customers to maximize the financial value of their electronic assets while exceeding strict environmental standards. Utilizing state-of-the-art facilities, processes and technology, we streamline the internal and external logistics of a technology refresh, help clients manage their assets on an ongoing basis and assist in proper equipment disposal.

Founded in 2001, CloudBlue is a privately-owned company with facilities in Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, New Jersey, California, Virginia and the United Kingdom. Our customers include leading OEMs, VARS, IT consultants, schools and corporations in the healthcare, legal, banking, real estate and insurance industries.

About Managed Systems

Managed Systems delivers proven technology solutions to New York’s small and mid-sized businesses, giving entrepreneurs the time to focus on what they do best: Run their companies. Using Managed Systems, business owners can get control over their technology and related infrastructure costs, simplify the management and maintenance of their mission-critical technologies and make themselves and their business more productive and profitable. For more information, go to http://www.managedsystems.com


About the author

Related Post