There’s no reason to drink and drive on Super Bowl Sunday. Many transportation companies are offering reduced-price coupon codes for the day. You can also reduce your price even more if you know how to avoid surge pricing. If you know of any other good coupon codes, let us know in the comments below.
Uber Codes & Surge Pricing Tips
If you’re a new Uber user, the following codes may be able to get you a free or reduced-price ride today. Keep in mind that when the Super Bowl ends, especially if you’re in Houston, Uber will likely surge its prices during higher traffic times. If you want to check on surge pricing, the app Flare is advertising that it helps with this service and lets you compare prices from multiple Carshare and Rideshare trips. SurgeProtector is another app that lets you find close locations that don’t have Uber surges. To avoid surges, try to leave a little before the game ends or stay at your location longer. You can also pay attention to fare estimates on your phone, to get an idea of when is the best time to call your Uber. You can also share rides with people going to similar locations using UberPOOL where it’s available.
According to RetailMeNot and other sources, the following codes may work for you:
- New users can get a free or reduced ride after registration with the code STEVENG28. (Note that this code is not working for everyone.)
- Use the code MTIRDEC10 to get $10 off your first ride.
- Get a free or reduced first ride with the code zp6f83zque. Good for up to $18 off.
- Save up to $20 off, for new users, with tatianas49
- Tostitos has a special offer right now. You can buy a limited-edition “Party Safe” Tostitos bag that has a sensor to detect alcohol on your breath. If any alcohol is detected, you’ll get a code for a free or reduced-price ride. You can also tap the sensor to automatically call a ride. It’s valid during and after the Super Bowl.
- Offers.com has a $10 off code for new users: Offers10FEB
Note that these discount codes can be cancelled by Uber at any time.
Remember, even if there is Uber surge pricing, the cost is still cheaper than the cost of a DUI, impounded car prices, lost wages from being in jail, the cost of hiring an attorney, etc.
If you prefer using Lyft to Uber, the following codes may be useful. Note that Lyft may change or cancel these codes at any time. (Look at RetailMeNot or PromoCode2017 for more codes if these don’t work.)
- $50 Off your First 10 Rides: LYFTMENOTNEW50 or LYFTHAPPY50
- $55 in Lyft Credit for your first 11 rides: WELCOME55
- $15 off your first Lyft ride: GOODNEW
- In general, it appears that Lyft may not be having as many Super Bowl specials as Uber.
Lyft may also use surge pricing, like Uber does, during peak hours. This means that if you get a Lyft ride during the busiest times right after the Super Bowl, especially if you’re in Houston, the ride may cost more than it typically does. However, if you schedule your Lyft ride in advance, you may be able to lock in current rates and avoid the surge. (Note: Some locations charge surge prices anyway, and it appears that Uber does not offer this option for avoiding surges.) But just remember, even if there is Lyft surge pricing tonight, the cost is still cheaper than the cost of a DWI.
Uber & Lyft Alternatives
If you’re really concerned about surge pricing, you can also look into alternatives to Uber and Lyft. There are some similar services, although they aren’t available in all areas.
One is Wingz, which lets you book rides in advance, 24/7. You can find some coupon codes for $5 off here.
Via is another app that some people like. You can download the iTunes version here and the Android app here. It serves New York City, Chicago, and D.C.
Flywheel in another alternative, downloadable on Android here and iTunes here. It works in LA, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle.
ZTrip lets you book a private sedan without the surge. You can choose a VIP black car or a taxi. The downside is that the waits can be longer. It’s available at 70 airports, plus Austin, Baltimore, Boulder, Colorado Springs, Denver, Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Northern Colorado, Orlando, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Tampa, and West Palm Beach.
Shofer is another Uber alternative; this one’s available in Australia. To get 25 percent off your first ride, use the referral code ADXL8E.