Couponing has become an increasingly popular hobby in the US, as companies distributed 256.5 billion coupons in 2018.
While many think clipping coupons and chasing the biggest sale will save you a ton of money, there is growing evidence that the opposite is true. Business Insider spoke with several marketing experts and found that the coupon actually benefits the company more than it benefits the consumer.
Here are some ways companies are tricking you into spending more money by offering coupons.
- 1 Coupons typically force people to buy items that they don’t need.
- 2 Companies trick you into buying more than you actually need when using a coupon.
- 3 When a coupon has an expiration date, you often feel the need to act fast.
- 4 “BOGO,” “50% off,” and free shipping sales are specifically designed to make you spend more money.
- 5 Coupons are designed to make it easier to spend over your budget.